Ed Hitzel’s Restaurant Magazine has grown in more than a decade from a small local publication, sprung from Ed’s monthly newsletter. Now there are two editions. The southern New Jersey edition, which covers the six counties of Atlantic, Ocean, Cape May, Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester and Burlington. The central New Jersey edition covers northern Ocean, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Somerset, and Warren counties. Our goal is to bring you new and interesting restaurants, and the people who inspire them, and other food and dining destinations in areas including but not limited to Asbury Park, Atlantic City, Atlantic Highlands, Burlington City, Cape May, Cherry Hill, Collingswood, Freehold, Haddonfield, Highlands, Long Beach Island, Long Branch, Margate, Ocean City, Point Pleasant, Sea Isle City, Toms River, Red Bank, Rumson and towns in between. Our magazines are available in as many restaurants, grocery stores, and numerous other locations throughout the region. That includes some New Jersey Transit train and bus stations and PATCO High Speed Line stations.
We plan to list every dinner restaurant in our market area. More than 400 listings in our Dining Guide includes comments from our critics, popular items from the menu, and data on hours, credit cards, average prices, address, phone and handicapped access. Restaurants considered excellent are noted in the Dining Guide listings and together on a separate page.
We are constantly updating, improving, expanding and pondering how to make the magazine better. Please feel free to email your comments about an area restaurant or about our magazine. Tell us about a restaurant that should be listed. Send E-Mail: Click Here!
- Feature stories on the hottest, most unique and most talented chefs and their restaurants.
- Topical and tasty recipes from regional chefs.
- The latest restaurant news. A thorough roundup of all that’s new and significant.
- Gary Monterosso on Beer. The nationally known beer columnist and broadcaster began his career in these pages.
- Chef Dora Dunn’s witty, incisive, and knowledgeable thoughts on food, dining, restaurants and the culinary world.
- John Mahoney on Wine. A respected regional eunophile teaches wine classes and hosts wine dinners.
- The Cranky Chef, chef/educator Michael Huber, and his view from the kitchen.
- Culinary book reviews and commentary by seasoned author and writing teacher Bill Kent.
- Richard Dobbin’s unique commentary on his love of beef and things meaty. The Confirmed Carnivore.
- Janice Gallagher’s report on the industry, a unique person or business who helps supply the hospitality business.
- Steve Sears’ observations from the very center of the state, View from the Center.
- Quarterly commentary by Melissa Lippard, whose “Word to the Wide” opinions span the culinary universe.
- George Lapsley, food safety expert, zeroes in on habits that keep away dining dangers.
- A thorough listing of buffets and brunches throughout the region.
- A listing from inception of restaurants rated excellent by our newsletter writers.
- Ed Hitzel’s commentary on the culinary world and on the region’s dining scene.
- A travel article from one of our seasoned writers, including Steve Sears, John McNulty and Kathy Hunt.